Monday, May 10, 2010

9 months, Mother's Day, another court notice, and a flooded basement.

Jude turned 9 months on Sunday! That was also Mother's Day, but before I can talk about all that, there's all the other weekend excitement that happened...
Friday morning my parents woke me up early because our basement flooded. Apparently, the suction-cuppy bath mat that was stuck to the wall to dry fell off in the middle of the night, hit the faucet handle, blocked the drain, and overflowed the tub. All the water seeped through the cracks in the floor and our basement had like 3 inches of water. No big deal, it's just a basement, right? Wrong. We have a nice freakin' finished basement with a bar, a pool table, an old piano that came with the house, air hockey table, an entertainment system with surround sound, and a foosball table. Not to mention, about 75% of my stuff is down there. Here's the other kicker, my mum pulled everything out of our furnace room two weeks ago so she could put up some shelves and organize everything. All that got wet/ruined. The piano is ruined, which not too big of a deal because it was here when we moved in and no one plays piano. The wood paneling and baseboards on the walls are ruined, the bar top is ruined, a ton of books are ruined. We've done like 20 loads of laundry to clean the towels and clothes that were in storage that got wet. Luggage sets are ruined. Now, another thing that makes this not-so-bad is that we were getting ready to sell a lot of this stuff in a garage sale, but now that half of it's ruined and we've spent a whole weekend cleaning and organizing, we don't have time. Now I just have to try to sell the baby stuff to resale shops or on craigslist. There's a lot of stuff that needs to be gotten rid of. The rest of the stuff we might just toss. I think the insurance is going to cover a lot of the stuff that was ruined, and the costs to replace the panelling and whatnot.
At least our basement is almost organized now... And they're building me a craft counter/nook in the furnace room, while not the most appealing place in the house, it will still be a nice little place to store all my crafty stuff and work on projects. Another good thing that came out of it is that I had to go through all my old clothes and tried them all on again and some of them fit! That means I'm shrinking back down, probably from that cardio kickboxing class.
On Mother's Day, after busting butt cleaning all day, my mum's mother came over for dinner. That was pretty nice, except for the tension between all of us while cleaning all day so dinner and company was the right change of pace to lift spirits. My dad bought me a gerbera daisy plant "from Jude" and my mum said she's taking me to get a massage the day before Jude's surgery, I cannot wait. I really need it.
Jude's 9 months now, he's growing too fast. :( He's crawling all over, chasing me, he's pulling himself to stand, dancing to music, and starting to realize that toys & books have purposes aside from being nommed on. He loves eating finger foods, and is starting to master the pincer grasp. He's a great mimicker and he's extremely curious about everything, which usually leads him to trouble. <3

No comments:

Post a Comment