Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Details

I got so excited about Jude's new pointing skill that I completely overlooked his other new favorite activity... Dropping things and saying uh-oh! He actually has been doing it for a while, but that was all mimickery before, now he totally sort of pretends to understands gravity and has labelled it "uh-oh." It's quite adorable, really, he'll get this super serious face after watching something fall and just go "uh-oh." I have a video from breakfast yesterday with both phenomena on my illusive, awesome video camera; the one I got for Christmas when I asked for a simple Flip and an iPod classic, the one that isn't very compatible with my computer and I can't upload from or save the videos to my computer from. It's a good camera, if I had a better computer it would be a great camera. It's one of the many reasons why I'm planning to buy a new laptop this fall with my extra student loan money.

And while I'm going off on this electronics tangent, you, my dear audience, are probably wondering how Jude's battery of doctors appointments on Monday went, or maybe you aren't, I like to pretend you are and I'm going to inform you either way.
First thing at 10 in the morning was some good old fashioned neuropsychological testing. It sounds like a terrible, painful thing but I promise it wasn't. The tests performed on Jude were to measure the Bayley scales. Essentially, Jude played the entire time. He was given "problems" to solve hidden in the form of toys, play, fun, and laughter. The doctor loved him, she was cracking up at him and she said that even though all babies are adorable and all parents are told that that Jude was extra cute. He's also extra smart, according to all the tests, he was showing skills and behaviors of an 11-12 month old. His language skills are right on track. He so cute and so smart that she just wanted to keep him. I really wasn't too concerned that he'd be behind, but they had to test to get a baseline and make sure the fused metopic suture wasn't causing serious damage especially since language is one of the things that is commonly delayed.
After that, we got some Chipotle for lunch, I bought since I made $60 from selling my carseat and some baby clothes on craigslist. Jude kept trying to make friends with all the people who went to the pop machine. He's so silly.
Next up at 1 we met with Carolyn, the craniofacial clinic's nurse practitioner. She went over the surgery with us again, addressed our concerns, reassured us that it was going to not be that bad, and had me sign a waiver. Then we had to go to the pre-op center where I had to fill out more forms and answer the same questions as always for the surgery.
Then we went down to ophthalmology for yet another eye exam even though we all know he can see (again, another thing to double check that the fused suture isn't messing anything up and get a baseline). We get down there and the door is locked so there's a moment of panic and Jude falls asleep while we're looking around for someone to figure out wtf is going on. A receptionist from that department eventually comes down and tells us that the doctor was out of town and that they rescheduled all of that day's appointments, but never called to tell me this...? She pages the resident that's there and she comes in and does Jude's exam, we had to wake him up for it, which was nigh impossible due to his obvious exhaustion. They put drops in his eyes to dilate his pupils so he looked like he had been licking toads all night.
After that fiasco, he had to get blood drawn, which was awful. You know the screaming sounds from The Exorcist? He made noises similar to that, and his eyes were all dilated, it was miserable. Honestly, it was kind of hard not to laugh at the noises. They had to take blood from both his tiny arms, and he kept squeezing my hand. Poor baby. We got to go home after that... At like 4 in the afternoon.
He's a trooper; a red-eyed, "wrist-band" wearin', extra cute, extra smart trooper.

No comments:

Post a Comment